A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an outpatient rehab program available at many addiction treatment centers.
Here’s more about what a PHP is and which services are available in this rehab program, along with the benefits of a PHP for those who need help fighting and recovering from addiction.
What Is a PHP?
A PHP is the next highest level of care after a residential drug and alcohol rehab program. This outpatient program takes place four to six hours a day on at least five days a week, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Also known as day treatment, a PHP is suitable for patients who may also have unstable psychiatric conditions but can still be safely managed in their homes or sober living communities without requiring 24-hour monitoring and supervision.
A PHP allows patients to start transitioning back into their homes and communities after going through detox and withdrawal. Individuals in a PHP can gradually start resuming their work or school schedules or spend quality time with their families in the evenings. They may also attend regular 12-step support group meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous to stay heavily involved with the recovery community in addition to receiving day treatment.
Which Services Are Included In a PHP?
A PHP offers many of the same services and behavioral therapies as residential treatment programs. It can often be viewed as a continuation of residential rehab, without 24-hour supervision. A PHP focuses on resocializing and reprogramming patients to live sober, more productive lives and teaching them essential skills that help them avoid relapse and stay abstinent from drugs and alcohol. Of all outpatient programs available at drug rehab, a PHP provides the highest level of supervision.
Many addiction treatment centers tailor PHPs to each patient based on their unique situation and recovery needs. As a result, some patients may receive different therapies than others.
Medicaid reports that in addition to receiving behavioral therapies, patients in a PHP may have direct access to medical, psychiatric, psychological, laboratory, toxicology, and emergency services.
Services and behavioral therapies that may be offered in a PHP include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Individual and group counseling
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Relapse prevention education
- Substance abuse education
- Medication management
- Community reinforcement
- Motivational enhancement
- The Matrix Model
- Family therapy
- 12-step facilitation therapy, such as Alcoholics Anonymous
- Dual diagnosis / co-occurring disorders therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Occupational therapy
- Recreational therapies, such as music therapy and equine (horse) therapy
What Are the Benefits Of a PHP?
A PHP is more flexible than a residential rehab program, given patients can live at home, resume their job and school schedules, and care for their families. This program provides patients with more stability and support than other outpatient programs and can especially benefit those who need additional therapy and relapse prevention training before becoming more independent outside of a treatment setting.
Other benefits of a PHP include:
- Treatment that is far more intensive than that offered in other outpatient rehab programs
- Highly structured daily routine
- Easy access to addiction treatment professionals, including doctors, nurses, counselors, psychiatrists, and psychologists
- Lower treatment cost than a residential rehab program
- Flexible treatment schedule
Who Are Ideal Candidates For a PHP?
Ideal candidates for a PHP are patients who have completed a drug or alcohol detox program and a residential rehab program. A PHP is also ideal for patients who need intensive care and strong support but must live at home so they can work, go to school, or care for their families.
A PHP may be most suitable for patients who meet the following criteria:
- They live in safe, stable environments where other relatives or residents support recovery and do not use drugs and alcohol.
- They want to return to work or school while continuing to receive addiction treatment.
- They can take prescription medications responsibly without misusing them.
- They have reliable transportation to and from the treatment facility.
- They are motivated to stay sober.
At Indiana Center for Recovery, we offer a PHP, along with drug and alcohol detox, residential rehab, and an intensive outpatient program. Our treatment team can meet with anyone who may need addiction treatment and recommend the best rehab program for them based on their unique situation.
We may recommend that patients start with drug and alcohol detox before receiving behavioral therapy in a rehab program if they are still using substances. After detox, many of our patients transition into a residential or outpatient rehab program to receive therapy that addresses the root cause of their substance use disorder, along with training on how to stay sober following completion of treatment.
Contact us today at (844) 650-0064 to learn more about the services and treatments available at Indiana Center for Recovery.
Let’s get you or a loved one help with a few simple steps.